I love speaking to large groups, addressing concepts that are important to me.
1. Peas and Carrots: When stories and songs go together (Can partner with live performance by The Happy Racers)
2. One Hundred Times: Six elements to consider when writing or choosing a picture book
3. Big Hairy Loudness: Books for boys
4. A Nest: Quiet books in scary times
Honorarium: $1,500 per day, plus expenses
School / Library Visits
I really enjoy visiting children, who never ever ever stop surprising and inspiring me. My school sessions are lively and personal. I introduce many important writing concepts, focusing on my two writing “pots”--which I call my “Things That Really Happen Pot” and “Imagination Pot.” Children see the connection between my personal life and the books I create through power point photographs. Although I don’t sell the books myself, it’s important to me to include book sales at these events.
$1,500 per day plus expenses.
Creative Problem Solving Through the Arts
I team up with illustrator Renee Graef, singer-songwriter / producer Nathan Meckel and Kindie-rock band, The Happy Racers, to present a week-long artist in residency program for schools--ending with an over-the-moon celebration concert for the whole family. Our program focuses on teaching students the concepts of creative problem solving. We model and teach preparation, flexibility, editing, teamwork, collaboration, respect, compromise, enthusiasm, resilience and professionalism--valuable traits that lead to success in whatever path a student may choose. We're all respected professionals who relate well to children. Because we've personally experienced frustration and rejection in our careers, we can demonstrate pathways that take students beyond disappoointment. We have all collaborated on projects, sometimes with each other. We'll model and teach techniques that will help children master the art of Creative Collaboration.
Contact Mark Meckel, firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Your Story, Your Way DVD
Video:Peek inside Barbara Joosse's 150-year-old stone house and colorful studio as she introduces you to her family. Then, for the first time, Barbara shares her tricks of the trade--a lively, personal approach to writing a complete story. Easy-to-use menu allows individualized, grade-appropriate program that can build on writing skills year after year.
Instructional Booklet:Ten pages of fun exercises supplement the video.
For: Library, Reading Program, Writing Program, Home School, Individuals. A great lower-cost alternative to an author visit.
- Life of an Author Peek inside my 150-year-old stone house and meet my family. Then walk across the creek, through town, to my colorful studio in an old woolen mill.
- Tricks of the Trade For the first time, I share my lively, personal approach to writing a complete story. Students are sure to gain confidence as I share my inside tips.
- Instructional Booklet Ten pages of fun exercises supplement the video. Writing concepts include: “The Idea,” “Getting Ready” (pre-writing), “Beginning,” “Middle,” “Voice,” “Practice Makes Better” (revising), “Describer Words,” and “Ending.”
$69.95, introductory special $39.95
To book Barbara Joosse:
9 Music Square South, 119
Nashville, TN 37203